Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Buddha and His Followers



While on our hike we found this Buddhist temple and I learned something that most people already knew...but Buddha was a real person..his name was Siddharta I think and he "retired from the world" at the age of 29-now think about most 29 year olds you know of and think of them doing this...and studied for 6 years and then became the Buddha I guess...He was thought of as a great teacher and philosopher that could help people with all their confusions about life and just overall problems and solve them. The story continues that after many years of being this all knowing seer that he went out into the woods and sat beneath a tree and died....I certainly know I don't understand it all but it sure does seem hard to me to grasp the idea of praying to a statue....it would so cold and unfeeling to me, yet when I pray to my Heavenly Father I can feel his Spirit attending to me always and I know that HE knows that I am here and knows my heart, feelings, and mind individually. The second picture is an actual monk that still are very much a part of this culture here in the Asian countries..this particular one is a woman as well...what conviction for a woman to believe in something so fully that she would shave her head. Props to her.....!!

No comments: