Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chris's Firsts



Though Chris has been an avid camper and all around Boy Scouter all his life, he told me on this camping trip that he had never successfully started a fire without a match-those of you who watch Survivor know....that's not just TV that's for real...especially the two sticks thing-yeah never would even attempt it because I would get too frustrated and throw the sticks in the woods and then would freeze to death overnight!! But we have evolved somewhat from that nowadays and have flint and steel..but that's still not much better!! So when Chris shaved these teeny little silver things of magnesium (at least I think that's the right element) into the wood, I thought you have got to be kidding but then he struck it with his knife and sure enough first strike caught and we had a really nice fire that night!! Though it wasn't enough to keep us warm all night unfortunately. I guess building a campfire inside the tent wouldn't be a good idea!! Slight hazards I guess!!

1 comment:

Dianna said...

wow, i was a step ahead of chris :) i took a survival class at byu and had to spend a night (suppose to be two but we had a snow storm the day we were suppose to leave so we only had to go one night and two days) by myself in the woods. all i could take was a sleeping bag, my journal, a tarp, and a piece of flint. we had to start our own fire (collect the wood and find the rock) both for dinner and breakfast or we didn't get to eat. i was successful both times! yea me.